37 miles up the Western Highway brings you to the Caves Branch River and its winding path through the Maya Mountains and numerous ancient caves once inhabited by the Maya.
Upon arriving at the site you are issued your tubes, headlights and safety gear before hiking through the rainforest to the entrance of the cave system. Once at the entrance of the caves your guides brief you on safety procedure while tubing and then its time for your cave tubing adventure through the ancient Maya underworld – Xibalba. Intricate crystalline formations line the cave and the majestic rise and fall of stalagmites and stalactites add to the serene opulence of nature. On several occasion you will emerge into the sunlight only to enter into another cave system.
Experience the thrill of tubing through the underworld!
To be able to participate in the Belize Cave Tubing Tour you should be:
- At least 8 years of age or older
- Be comfortable in the water*
- Listen, and participate in a 10-minute orientation and safety briefing
- Your Guide will review the SeaTREKhelmet, ladder descent, ear equalization techniques, proper breathing, hand signals for underwater communication, and more
- You will descend the ladder until the water is at shoulder level. A surface attendant will then lower the helmet onto your shoulders; you will continue to descend the ladder, step-by-step, with the aid of the safety diver or SeaTREKGuide.
- Your SeaTREKhelmet receives a continuous supply of air (3x more than what you normally breathe), so your entire head remains dry, you can wear glasses or prescription contacts, and you’re able to breathe normally through your nose (no mouthpiece)
- Every couple steps, you will need to equalize the pressure in your ears (similar to flying in an airplane or swimming in a pool). The helmet is designed to allow you to reach your hand up inside the helmet, pinch your nose and gently blow to easily equalize your ears. If for some reason you cannot properly equalize, you can go back up the ladder several steps, and try again
- Once at the bottom of the ladder, you will join the rest of your group in a single file line. The tour begins once the entire group is on the sea floor
- Your SeaTREKGuide, and safety divers will be with you for the entire tour. You’ll walk underwater along a preset SeaTREK trail for a once-in-a-lifetime experience
- During the tour, fish of all shapes and colors, and local marine life will surround you. Underwater cameras are allowed on most tours
- Underwater tour duration is approximately 25-minutes